If the thought of cold, creamy gelato has you grinning from ear to ear and you want to be able to make this delicious frozen concoction at home, you may be shopping around and researching various gelato makers, and would appreciate a review of the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor.
Gelato is one of the most popular treats in Italy, enjoyed by native Italians and tourists alike. Now, using the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor, you can turn out batches of this yummy treat right in your own kitchen!
What is the difference between gelato and ice cream?
Gelato is made with no added air incorporated and is lower in fat, so you get a significantly richer but healthier result that is dense and extra creamy, packed with flavor. Conventional ice cream ordinarily contains approximately 20% or more of butterfat, while gelato usually has between 4-8% butterfat. As it is churned more slowly than ice cream, gelato has less air added, resulting in its thicker substance and a more intense flavor.
Unlike frozen yogurt makers designed for home use, the bowl doesn’t have to be frozen for each use. This gelato maker from DeLonghi has its own self refrigerated compressor that brings the gelato ingredients to below freezing, so you can whip up one batch right after another with no waiting for bowls to freeze.
Here is a description of this highly rated home gelato maker that will show you some of its key features.
Description of the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor
With a sleek and contemporary look, this gelato maker is as attractive as it is functional. A high tech silvery metallic body and stainless steel lining in the bowl gives it a modern look that will complement any décor. It is a relatively small size, so it doesn’t take up much counter space and will fit right in where space is at a premium. A convenient see through lid enables you to see the gelato as it is being made.
It comes complete with a recipe book for 36 different varieties of gelato—enough to tempt your taste buds for quite a while!
Eco friendly, it uses a refrigerant gas that does not deplete the earth’s ozone layer.
The DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor is feature rich, loaded with all kinds of handy features.
Features of the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor
Here is a list of the notable features you will find with this gelato maker:
- The self refrigerating compressor allows you to produce continuous batches of gelato with no waiting for bowls to freeze, bringing ingredients to below freezing temperatures immediately
- The patented mixing paddle churns out a perfect, creamy consistency time after time, mixing the ingredients from top to bottom for even freezing and is said to be quiet rather than noisy
- The freezing bowl is removable and washable, making it a snap to serve the finished product and clean up between uses
These features show that the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor is innovative and efficient, cleverly designed to make it a great choice for use in the home.
Taking it a step further, we’ll break down the features into a few pros and cons.
Pros & Cons of the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor
This home gelato maker has a lot going for it!
Here are some of the pros:
- Based on user reviews from consumers who have actually used it, the machine is reasonably quiet
- The removable bowl makes it easy to serve up into individual dishes and easy to clean, as well
- Able to make continuous servings since the bowl doesn’t have to be frozen before use
It’s nice to learn that the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor isn’t loud and noisy as some ice cream and frozen yogurt makers are. In fact, reviews have mentioned that it is quieter when in use than a blender.
Easy Clean Up
If there is one thing most of us don’t want, it’s a small kitchen appliance that is difficult to clean after use. Remember the original Crockpots that didn’t have a removable cooking liner? Ugh! What a pain! This gelato maker, according to many users, is a breeze to clean up as the freezing bowl is removable. This makes it easy to serve it up into individual dishes, as well.
If you have ever used a frozen yogurt maker with the bowl that must be frozen before each use, you know that this can be inconvenient, especially if you have several people impatiently waiting for a dish of it. The machine has its own built-in freezing unit, so you can make one batch right after another—no waiting!
Patented Mixing Paddle
The DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor has a patented, unique mixing paddle that mixes from top to bottom so you get a consistent finished product.
Now for the flip said of the coin…look at the cons:
- Basically, the main complaint from users about this gelato maker is that it doesn’t freeze to a very hard consistency. However, based on other reviews, this may be due to insufficient freezing time by the operator. Of course, that’s understandable because who wouldn’t be in a hurry to eat this scrumptious stuff?
- A few users don’t like the plastic mixing paddles and reported that they broke after using the machine for a while.
- The recipe book that comes with this gelato maker is said to be in fractured English and a little difficult to follow.
The Bottom Line
To recap—when all is said and done, if you are in the market for a home gelato maker, the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor would probably be a fantastic choice.
- It is well made by an internationally acclaimed company, known as a leader in the industry. So, this machine is backed by a solid tradition of excellent and commitment to high quality, which is a definite plus.
- It will allow you to make multiple servings, continuously, since the bowl requires no separate freezing between uses.
- It is energy efficient and eco friendly.
- It has a small footprint which is a benefit for those who are challenged for counter space, with dimensions of 12.8 x 15.8 x 9.6 inches.
- The removable freezer bowl makes it easy to clean and serve.
- The mixing paddle delivers truffle smooth, creamy gelato consistently.
- It has a reasonable price point at around $260 on Amazon.
Check out real User Reviews on Amazon for the “scoop” on the DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor.